|Re-commissioned 27th May 2013
The Cairn Memorial - Port Edgar
|On the 14th April 1988 a Memorial to the Ships and Men who had served the nation from Port Edgar and Granton from 1939 to 1975 in the Minesweeping and Fishery Protection Services of the Royal Navy was unveiled and dedicated. It has a position overlooking the waters, where for many years, ships of the Royal Navy were gathered.
The Memorial, in the form of a granite Cairn was erected by members of the Algerines Association, formed in 1984 to bring together those who served in the Minesweeper/Escorts of 1942-63, many of which were at Port Edgar for M/S working-up or later as Fishery Protection vessels.
The unveiling was performed by a Vice-president of the Association, Commodore Barry J Clarke Royal Navy, then serving as Commodore Minor War Vessels and Mine Warfare at Rosyth.
|The inscription reads:
|"LET THERE BE A WAY THROUGH THE WATER"
REMEMBERING WITH PRIDE AND GRATITUDE
THE MEN AND THE SHIPS
OF THE MINESWEEPING SERVICE
OF THE ROYAL AND ALLIED NAVIES.
WHO LEARNED THEIR TRADE
AT HMS LOCHINVAR
(ON THIS SITE)
AT PORT EDGAR AND AT GRANTON
AND WHO CONTRIBUTED
SO MUCH TO VICTORY
ALSO ALL WHO SERVED FROM HERE
IN THE MINESWEEPING
AND FISHERY PROTECTION SERVICES
OF THE ROYAL NAVY.
THE ALGERINES ASSOCIATION
14th APRIL 1988
COMMANDER H L JENKINS O.B.E., D.S.C., R.N.
UNVEILED BY COMMODORE B J CLARK R.N.
(COMM. MINOR WAR VESSELS AND MINE WARFARE)